Friday, June 4, 2010

Does anybody really know what time it is??

This morning we needed to leave the house at oh-dark-thirty (college phrase for super freaking early) to start our family vacation, and despite the fact that I set my alarm for over an hour in advance of that time, my alarm clock must have thought I was crazy and it decided not to go off. Instead I was left with only 30 minutes to get cleaned up and get our family of four out of the house and to our meeting spot, which was 10 minutes away. Thanks so much.

Yet, somehow in the midst of my feeling stressed, frazzled, and upset at my alarm, I could not help but smile and see the God-work that this past week had produced. This week's entry comes to us courtesy of my awesome 3-year-old Aiden Joseph and my not-so-awesome dog Wrigley.

Let's step back a bit (Back-Story Time, for all you Phineas and Ferb fans)--

The past month or so, my awesome son Aiden was awake and raring to go with the dawn, and he wanted me to do the same. However, the dawn was occurring around 5:30 each morning...not a time that I was real pleased about being up. I became so tired and cranky from the repeated nights of sleep cut short, I did the ultimate deal-breaker.

I posted about it on Facebook. And that's where our lesson for the week starts.

Earlier this week, my awesome son Aiden decided that 5:30 wasn't working out too well...so he moved up my first wake-up call. To 1:00 in the morning. And he came back in to my room many times after that, finally settling back down about 2:00. Suddenly, 5:30 didn't seem so bad!

Early Thursday morning, I was challenged again, this time by my not-so-awesome dog Wrigley. At 3:00 in the morning (just after putting Aiden back down) we were woken up by an awful smell. After investigating, we found that Wrigley had gotten sick in her dog crate. She tried not to mess herself up, but she's a big dog so that was not an option. We had to take her outside, clean the crate, clean her, and try to fall back asleep...which never happened. After that, I began to long for my 5:30 wake-up call! (I should clarify, I did feel bad for Wrigley! Her and I just don't get along all the time.)

The reason we woke up at all this morning? Aiden came in for a wake-up call, 30 minutes before our meeting time. Had it not been for his early morning visit, we would have been super late for our family meeting time. Aiden Joe is the hero of the day!!! Thanks, dude!

This morning's escapade (hooray Janet Jackson) brought everything together in my mind, and even in the chaos I was able to see what God had been trying to tell me. I needed to reframe. I needed to change my perspective on what was going on. I need to do this in so many areas of my life. I need to reframe anger, frustration, jealousy, and try to see the other sides of each.

Today, I've been trying to turn my frustration with a certain person into prayer instead of dredging myself in that heavy emotion. As much as he frustrates me, I don't know what's going on in his life. I don't know how he interprets the things I say or do. And the biggest point-I have no control over how he treats people (who can take care of themselves) or how they react to his treatment. I have to work with the things I CAN control. I CAN tell my kids what is appropriate and what they should not copy from his behaviors. I CAN remember that the people around me are capable of having their own reactions. And I CAN pray for him and the people around him.

All in the power of perspective...even at 5:30 in the morning!

Do you have a favorite Bible verse about this topic? Feel free to comment and share!

No comments:

Post a Comment